Scope for Imagination

Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?

-Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery




Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My big fat pile of library books--Stargirl

Stargirl--


So I'm reading off the Burbank Middle School summer reading list. Most of these books I'd missed since they mostly were written post 1974.
And holey-moley!
What a golden age of kid lit we are living in!

In the hands of any writer other than Jerry Spinelli this story would be predictable and cloying.

But oh.
Oh man, that Jerry Spinelli.
Stargirl has nestled into my heart, I love her so. And I love Leo Borlock, who loves Stargirl, too.
Non conformity.
Kindness.
First love.

I can't tell you how sad it is to read that there is a Stargirl movie in the works. I just don't think this is movie material. I fear they will get it all wrong. Stargirl is the opposite of Hollywood. I was rather hoping for "Stargirl, the non conforming Stage Musical"
I've been recklessly pitching the idea around...
I'd so love for kids to be able to put a popular story onstage, that is a musical, that is neither "Annie" nor "High School Musical."

No offence to Annie or HSM...it's just that we are living in a golden age of literature for young people...and none of it is on stage by kids for kids.

No comments: